Saturday, February 4, 2017

"Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, January 2017

Shroud of Turin News - January 2017
© Stephen E. Jones
[1]

[Previous: December 2016, part #1] [Next: February 2017, part #1]

This is the "Editorial and Contents," part #1 of the January 2017 issue of my Shroud of Turin News. Following this editorial, I will add excerpts from Shroud-related January 2017 news articles (if any) in separate posts, linked back to this post, with the articles' words in bold to distinguish them from mine. Click on a link below to go to that article. Articles not yet linked are planned to be commented on in this issue.

Contents:
Editorial


Editorial

Rex Morgan's Shroud News: My scanning and word-processing of issues of Rex Morgan's Shroud News, provided by Ian Wilson, and emailing them to Barrie Schwortz, for him to convert to PDFs and add to his online Shroud News archive, continued in January up to issue #68, December 1991 [Right (enlarge)]. Issues in that archive are now up to #66, August 1991.



Posts: In January I blogged only 4 new posts (latest uppermost): "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Seventh century," "June 2007 & Index: Steps in the development of my radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud hacker theory #1," "The date of Ian Wilson's tetradiplon = `doubled in four' Shroud experiment," and "Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, December 2016."

Updates to my posts in the background in January included: inserting "Turin Shroud" in the title of each of my "Problems of the forgery theory" posts, so they now are: "Problems of the Turin Shroud forgery theory: Index A-F," "G-M," "N-R" and "S-Z." I did this because I belatedly realised that without "Turin Shroud" in their titles, search engines might not readily list them as being about the Shroud.

Comments: While not a comment, in January I received an email request for my comment on a complex Shroud-related matter. I replied:

"Sorry but I don't have the time to answer private questions about the Shroud. I am the full-time carer of my wife who has MS [Multiple Sclerosis] and is on her way to becoming a quadriplegic. After I have done her personal care, driving her to doctors' appointments, etc, and both the `woman's work' and the `man's work' around the home, it takes all my limited spare time left to research and write my blog [And scan, word-process and proof-read ~60 pages of Shroud News each month]. So those of you who presumably have a lot more time than me, please do your own Shroud research!"
I am sharing this so that other readers may know why I cannot answer their private questions about the Shroud. In fact a few days after that I received an email from another person who asked, if I "might have the time to add some perspective to a couple of questions I have?" I responded by quoting the above. I can still respond to public comments under my posts, but only those which comply with my stated policies:
"MY POLICIES. Comments are moderated. Those I consider off-topic, offensive or sub-standard will not appear. Except that comments under my latest post can be on any one Shroud-related topic. To avoid time-wasting debate I normally allow only one comment per individual under each one of my posts."

My radiocarbon dating hacker theory: As can be seen above, in January I blogged one post about my hacker theory, being part #1 of a new series, "Steps in the development of my radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud hacker theory." In that series, as the subject indicates, I will set out the steps in the progressive development of my radiocarbon dating hacker theory. The title is long-winded so that search engines will more readily list my posts in that series as being about the hacking of the 1988 radiocarbon dating of the Shroud.

Pageviews: At midnight on 31 January, Google Analytics [below (enlarge)] gave this blog's "Pageviews all time history" as 685,705 and "Pageviews last month" as 14,555. This compares with 499,143 (up 186,562 or 37.4%) and 12,030 respectively in my January 2016 Editorial (albeit as at 12 February 2016). It also gave the most viewed posts for the month (highest uppermost) as: "Did you ask radiocarbon dating experts their opinion on this?," Nov 3, 2016 - 224; "Medieval photography: Nicholas Allen," Aug 7, 2016 - 224; "My radiocarbon dating hacker theory mentioned in Joe Marino's `The Politics of Radiocarbon Dating'!," Oct 24, 2016 - 220; "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Second century," Aug 5, 2016 - 208; and "`Editorial and Contents,' Shroud of Turin News, October 2016," Nov 2, 2016 - 199.


Notes:
1. This post is copyright. Permission is granted to extract or quote from any part of it (but not the whole post), provided the extract or quote includes a reference citing my name, its title, its date, and a hyperlink back to it. [return]

Posted: 4 February 2017. Updated: 6 March 2017.

No comments: